Advice on waterproof jackets, trousers and products that will keep you dry on expedition.
What waterproof jacket and trousers do I need for a DofE expedition?
- How do I pick the right waterproof clothing for an expedition
- DofE recommended waterproof clothing and products
- Save money on expedition kit
- How to look after your waterproofs
Waterproofs are an important part of your expedition and keep out rain, wind and cold. Good waterproofs are lightweight and breathable, so you stay free of moisture inside your jacket.
Choose a jacket with a front zip for easy removal. You can wear waterproof trousers over your normal walking clothes – choose a pair with wide legs to slip on over your walking boots.
Craghoppers Apex Jacket – Mens
Craghoppers Apex Jacket – Womens
Craghoppers Ascent Overtrousers
View Ascent Overtrousers
Wash and treat your waterproof clothes without damage.
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended waterproof jackets are durable, windproof, breathable and offer UV protection. They have hoods to beat the rain, zips for easy removal, and reflective tags for safety. The trousers have a stretchy waist and open at the ankle.
You can get FREE advice at your local GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only) before you buy.
Waterproofs can be a great value purchase that you can use for all kinds of activities. Here are some more great tips to save money:
- Don’t wash your waterproofs with normal washing powders – they’ll damage them and you’ll have to buy more! Use Nikwax Tech Wash, a specialist waterproofing solution.
- Borrow or buy second-hand gaiters to keep your ankles and feet extra-dry.
- You can get FREE professional advice before you buy, at your nearest GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only).
- Use your exclusive DofE Card or voucher to claim your discount* in all local GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only) and online.
For DofE Adults’ discounts, click here.
- Avoid ‘3 in 1’ jackets so you can manage your temperature with different layers.
- Take a set of gaiters to keep the water out of the top of your boots.
- Treat your waterproofs regularly with Nikwax waterproofing, especially Nikwax Tech Wash when you wash them – otherwise you could ruin them.