What kind of food and meals should I bring on a DofE expedition?
- What makes a great expedition meal
- DofE recommended expedition food
- Save money on expedition food
- How to plan your expedition menu
Getting the right food will help you enjoy your adventure. It’s a chance to be creative, and to understand more about rationing and outdoor survival.
Your DofE diet should be compact and easy to carry. It needs to be high in slow-release energy, which will help you throughout your expedition.
To meet your expedition aim you need to plan, prepare and cook a meal as a group but ration packs are great for breakfast or when journeying.
Below are some ration packs that the British Armed Forces use, and you could too!
Beyond the Beaten Track’s easy outdoor food options are nutritious and ready to eat hot or cold. They’re small to carry, have durable packaging that won’t split in your bag, and they match the meals you might have at home. Options for different diets include vegetarian, vegan, halal and kosher too.
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended expedition food is easy to prepare and won’t break in your rucksack. You don’t need to keep them refrigerated – your bag will be just fine.
Pre-packed expedition food is a convenient way to get the right nutrients for your adventure. And there are lots of everyday foods you can add to keep your costs down:
- You will need to cook from scratch and plan meals your whole team can share. Split the ingredients, cost, packing and effort between the team
- Mars bars, boiled sweets, jelly cubes or Kendal mint cake – just a few everyday foods for that extra energy hit
- Save food from other trips such as your practice expedition – it might come in handy again
- Use Lifeventure LocTop waterproof bags to pack and protect your rations
- Use our exclusive DofE Reward Card to get your 15% discount* in all Cotswold Outdoor stores and online
- Get creative with cooking to have the most fun possible
- Cook in groups – and make your Assessor a food critic
- Pack your meals together to save time
- Always aim for compact food with lots of slow-release energy
- Stay extra safe with Vango hydration packs and Lifeventure water purifying tablets
For a quick guide to planning your DofE expedition meals, download our popular meal planner here.