First aid, wash kit & tools
What you need to pack to keep you ready to deal with most of your expedition encounters.
What first aid, wash kit and tools do I need for a DofE expedition?
- DofE recommended first aid kits and advice
- DofE recommended wash kit and tips
- Expedition torches, tools and kits to keep you fit and well
- Save money on expedition kit
What kind of first aid kit should I take on expedition?
When you do your DofE expedition, you’ll need to know how to keep yourself safe in the outdoors, and how to act in an emergency. Preparing and training with an appropriate, good quality first aid kit helps keep you safe from start to finish. Wellbeing is an overriding concern for DofE expeditions and Leaders. You can contribute by packing a waterproof first aid kit adapted to your needs. Include specific items for any conditions, allergies or medicinal needs you might have on your journey. The most common expedition first aid problem is blisters. Make sure to pack lots of blister plasters and antiseptic wipes.
Lifesystems Blister First Aid
Light and compact
View Blister first aid
Lifesystems Trek First Aid
View Trek first aid
Lifesystems Camping First Aid
View Camping first aid
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended first aid kits are water resistant and suitable for expeditions.
Of course you’ll get muddy but staying hygienic is an important part of your expedition routine:
When camping in the wild, dark is very dark. A torch is absolutely essential for finding your way at night and a head torch is even better. Head torches leave both hands free to do what you need to do – putting boots on, tying tent strings, finding kit in your bag – and also direct the light where you need it. The DofE recommend the Lifesystems intensity 220 head torch.
All expeditions are different so make sure you plan ahead to have the right kit for yours. There is a wide range of other tools and equipment available to ensure your health and safety on your expedition, whether for sunburn, storms, or midges.
Available from Lifesystems:
Available from Lifeventure:
Available from Vango:
The DofE Pocket Tool
DofE and Victorinox have developed this pocket tool in partnership as an expedition safe ‘pen-knife’. It has a bespoke set of tools and a rounded blunt end on the knife. The DofE featured Victorinox pocket tool is ideal for making repairs to equipment, and for first aid or emergencies.
|Features||The recommended pocket can tool help you by:|
Tools, first aid and wash kits are essentials to keep you happy and healthy on expedition. And there are lots of ways to save on costs:
- Borrow handy tools where you can. Have your family ever been camping? What can your DofE Leader give you?
- Ask your family or friends if you can borrow or re-use nail scissors, bandages and other first aid items.
- Visit your local DofE centre to borrow safety gear like survival bags.
- Share items like toothpaste, toilet roll and hand wash with your team.
- Use your exclusive DofE Card or voucher to claim your discount* in all local GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only) and online.
For DofE Adults’ discounts, click here.