Walking boots and socks
Why getting the right walking boots at the right time is essential expedition preparation.
What are the best walking boots and socks for a DofE expedition?
- How to choose the best walking boots and socks for you
- DofE recommended walking boots and socks
- Save money on expedition kit
- How to look after your footwear
Choosing the best walking boot for your expedition is crucial. It pays to look around and work out what’s right for you. Get your boots early as they must be worn in and comfortable in time for your expedition practice.
Leather walking boots will cost you more, and are usually more sturdy and longer-lasting. Fabric boots are lighter, cheaper, and a good option if your feet are still growing. You should also consider how frequently you will use them after your expedition and how long for.
Berghaus Explorer Trek
Berghaus Explorer Ridge
View Vango Cervino boots
View Vango Grivola boots
View Vango Velan boots
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended boots are waterproof, and have high ankle support and high grip soles. They are available for girls and for boys. Ideally, get a FREE professional fitting at your local Cotswold Outdoor store before you buy.
Along with your walking boots, getting the right socks for your expedition can make a huge difference. You should never wear cotton socks on an expedition. Walking socks are designed to minimise blisters with padding and moisture protection fabric.
Different weights of socks are designed for different weathers. A mid-weight sock will be suitable the whole year round, but a lightweight sock might be more comfortable in hot months. Liner socks are worn inside, and reduce rubbing even more.
Bridgedale WoolFusion Trekker Midweight
Bridgedale WoolFusion Trail Lightweight
Bridgedale Coolmax Liner sock
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended socks and liners have technical fibres to support and absorb moisture from your feet. They are available for girls and for boys.
Whilst buying good walking boots and socks might seem expensive, it’s really important to make sure you’re comfortable during your expedition. And there are lots of ways to keep your costs down:
- Don’t spend a vast amount on boots if you’re still growing or unlikely to use them again
- Make your socks last longer by washing them inside-out, and don’t walk them over carpets
- You can get a FREE professional boot fitting before you buy, at your nearest Cotswold Outdoor store
- Use our exclusive DofE Reward Card to get your 15% discount* in all Cotswold Outdoor stores and online
Walking boots are made to get dirty but will last longer if looked after properly.
Nikwax products are easy to use, apply by hand and your boots will be clean, breathable and waterproof.
1. Clean them with Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel which gently removes dirt and revives breathability.
2. After a walk or expedition, apply Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof to combination boots or Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather to leather boots; both restore water repellency.
Find the right Nikwax waterproofing product for your boots at Cotswold Outdoor.
- A piece of newspaper can help to dry out wet boots
- Treat your boots regularly with Nikwax waterproofing to keep your boots strong and dry
- Take a set of spare laces in case yours break
- Wipe down your boots with the right cleaning gel for your boot material